Call SB Partners 905-632-5978
Blog post default image.

Tax, Uncategorized

Getting Married? Important Tips From CRA

If your marital status changes, it’s important to let the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) know as soon as possible. Here are some tips to help you get through the process.

Change Your Marital Status – You can change your marital status online by using the Change My Marital Status service through My Account, or by calling 1-800-387-1193, or send a completed form RC65, Marital Status Change.

Change of Name – If you changed your name, call  1-800-959-8281 to update your records. Changes are not accepted for name by email or over the Internet.

Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount – Did you make the majority of the household income this year? If at any time in the year you supported your spouse or common-law partner and his or her net income was less than $11,038, you can claim this amount! If you also claimed the family caregiver amount, your spouse or common-law partner’s net income must be less than $13,078 to be eligible.

Contributing to your Spouse’s or Common-Law Partner’s RRSP – Contributions you make to a spousal or common-law partner RRSP reduce your RRSP deduction limit. Find out how much you can contribute and deduct!

Authorize a Representative – Is your spouse or common-law partner a tax whiz? You can authorize your spouse or common-law partner online, using My Account, as your representative for income tax matters.


We have detected that you are using an outdated browser.

Upgrade to a newer browser for a better experience.

Download Edge