New Ontario Business Registry
The new Ontario Business Registry (the “registry”) is an online platform that digitizes many of the services provided to organizations that carry on business in Ontario. The registry allows businesses and not-for-profit corporations to complete over 90 transactions online, including registering, incorporating, dissolving, and updating their business information.
What you need to know:
- Any registered or incorporated businesses (including not-for-profits) must register for a “One-Key” account. REGISTER HERE
- These organizations must apply for a company key to access the new Business Registry and its online services. Please note: the company key is like a password and should be treated as confidential information.
- If an existing business has not received a company key, a company key can be requested by completing and submitting the Company Key Request Form.
- For more information, contact ServiceOntario at 416-314-8880 or toll free at 1-800-361-3223.
- New businesses incorporated or registered after October 19, 2021, will be issued a company key as part of the registration process, and will not need to request one separately.
- With your company key, you will be able to add the Ontario Business Registry Service for your business to your “One-Key” account and file your annual Ontario Information Return.
- Follow our step-by-step guide to filing your annual Ontario Information Return here
Ontario Annual Return
The Corporations Information Act Annual Return For Ontario Corporations (“Ontario Annual Return”) is an annual information return disclosing basic information about an Ontario corporation, including the corporation’s name, business address, and directors and officers. This return is generally due six months after the fiscal year-end for corporations with share capital or 60 days after the date of incorporation, amalgamation, or continuance for corporations without share capital.
Prior to the launch of the registry, the Ontario Annual Return was submitted at the same time the T2 Corporate Income Tax Return was transmitted to the Canada Revenue Agency (“CRA”). Corporations who have an annual return due after October 18, 2021 must now file their Ontario Annual Return directly through the registry.
Intermediaries, including Chartered Professional Accounting firms and lawyers, are currently unable to file annual returns through the registry. Future updates to the registry will address online access for intermediaries.