Tax dispute and resolution services
Working with the CRA can be intimidating and time consuming. Audits and tax disputes can tie up a lot of time and resources. Our tax dispute resolution process has a proven track record of assisting businesses and high-net-worth individuals navigate complex frameworks and ambiguity in compliance and time-sensitive resolutions.
We can help with preparation, presentation and corresponding with the CRA. Mitigate concerns by engaging our professional services.
CRA Tax Audit Process
If selected for an audit, an auditor will arrange to conduct the audit at your offices or a CRA office. The auditor will review records, statements, documents and information provided by your company and determine:
- The previous assessment was correct and no further action is required
- A reassessment is required and may result in taxes owing or a refund. You will receive a proposal letter outlining the reason for the reassessment and are to respond within 30 days.
How we help manage CRA audits & prevent future ones
An audit is a timely and resource intensive process. We provide you with a management team experienced in auditing and working with the CRA. Together we can mitigate the time and expenses incurred and reduce the chances for further scrutiny.
Who we work with
- Business owners
- High net-worth individuals
The CRA conducts a risk assessment and determines an audit is necessary to ensure there are no reporting errors and tax obligations are being met.
That depends on the size of the business and the complexity of the audit. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to years.
While you are required to retain documents for up to 6 years, there is no limit if the CRA can justify there is reason to believe that there were irregularities on tax returns.
There are several things that may make your business show up on the CRA’s radar including:
- Revenue discrepancies
- Recurring losses
- Reporting significantly higher or lower earnings than the industry norm
- Making large charitable donations
- Having a business with lots of cash payments